Monday, March 14, 2016

StampNation Stencil Class Lessons 11 & 12

Lesson #11 was on Stencils & Color Bursts

Since I don't own any color bursts or pigment powders yet, I haven't completed this homework.

 





Guess what came in yesterday's Amazon box???? Yep, that's right some color powders, but did I have time to play last night...no, I didn't! But look for more stenciling love on the Card A Day Challenge Blog in July! I'm sure they will make an appearance there. hehehehehe giggling like a crazy person.


Lesson #12 was on Creative Mediums (embossing/texture paste)

I own white and translucent pastes, but decided to give this homemade one a try. 
I used black acrylic paint (since it uses acrylic paint you can in theory use any color, right?)
My glue was OLD!!! My kids are 21 and almost 20. 
Seriously, I haven't bought white school glue in 6 or 7 years.
I didn't measure the paint or the glue, just guesstimated a tbsp.
I did measure the cornstarch (it wouldn't get my measuring cup yucky)

I mixed it up in a disposable plastic cup. I didn't want the black staining any good plastic ware. 
Of course you could use something glass, but why risk it. 

Because my glue was "drier" than normal, I added a bit of water 
(after I started mixing with my palette knife) using a mister bottle.
 Spraying only a few spritzes at a time,  until I got a decent consistency. 

It's a really simple recipe:

1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tbsp white acrylic paint
1 tbsp white school glue (like Elmer's)
Mix it together and if it is too thick, add just a bit of water to thin it out. 

If you want to see the video, it is on the Scrapbook Expo YouTube channel, with the title "Tip of the Day: Creating Texture Paste from Stamp & Scrapbook Expo.

 Here are the cards I made using the homemade paste.




The first card uses just the plain paste.
Card 2 I added ultra fine iridescent glitter.
Card 3 I added Tim Holtz Distress glitter.
I'll definitely be playing with this DIY paste more. 

Bonus, you can use your heat gun to dry it completely 
and it doesn't bubble up like the commercial brands.

Final thoughts on the homemade stuff: 

If you don't own commercial embossing pastes and have the supplies on hand, 
this is a good way to get your feet wet with this type of product/technique 
before spending a bundle on the commercial brands. 

The consistency is a little off compared to some, but if you are willing to use your mixer to whip the paste up it would have the lighter texture of the store bought brands. 
I, however, am not willing to do that, to much like cooking. LOL

It worked just fine, mixing it by hand. Add water sparingly. Use a spray bottle and add only a few spritzes at a time. You don't want this to be watery. It will bleed under your stencil. You want something like frosting (if whipped) or cake decorator gel (if mixed by hand). 

Be sure to use something disposable under your project, as this stuff stains like crazy (of course that's because I used black, but any color of paint is going to stain). I first tried it on my craft mat and it took a bit of elbow grease to get it up so I switched to a piece of chipboard from a package.

All in all, a good alternative. This will be a great product for teaching a class with as it is cheap and you can toss any extra at the end of the night without feeling bad.

CLEAN UP IMMEDIATELY or have a bucket of water handy 
and place your stencils in as you finish using them.
This stuff is even worse to get off than store bought if allowed to dry.
It will stain your clear stencils (if you use colored paints), no big deal but just an FYI.

My recommendation, give it a try!






For the card above, I got really happy mixing all kinds of products and mediums.

I started by ink blending Ranger Distress Inks in 5 colors, then I sprayed on Heidi Swapp Color Shine in Black and Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Navy. I sprinkled on HS Color Shine in White and Tinsel (silver). After it dried I added my Hero Arts stars stencil and mixed translucent embossing paste with Ranger Distress Glitter and the Ultra Fine Iridescent Glitter and spread that on through the stencil. 

After the stars were dry, I used a piece of sand paper to smooth off an area for my Dylusions sentiment which I used Versa Fine and Ranger Detail White embossing powder for. 

I love how it turned out.

  

Used my SOA Young at Heart collection with some translucent 
glitter embossing paste to create a couple of cards. 
The first one on black cardstock, the second card, I stenciled with Twisted Citron then moved the stencil and double stenciled with the glitter paste. 

Embossed vellum cut with one of the frames dies from the SOA completed the cards.


Stop by tomorrow for more stenciling fun.

Happy Crafting


Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!